The Irish Language
An Ghaeilge Thar Lear | The Irish Language Abroad
The Subsidiary Fund for 3rd level Institutions Overseas
The Department of Arts, Heritage and Gaeltacht Affairs provides funding to third level institutions overseas who are or will be providing Irish language courses as part of the academic programme.
This scheme is funded through a subsidiary fund of of the Department’s Support Schemes for the Irish language.
Assessment of all applications is based on the following criteria:
- The track record of the organization in terms of the provision of Irish language courses and the promotion of Irish generally.
- The Business Plan of the organization indicating the objectives of the academic programme as well as details of costs and whether any increase in Irish language courses or activities is intended.
- Applications will be assessed according to the focus on modern Irish within the course.
- Priority will be given to courses which teach modern Irish as rather than courses which only provide information on Irish.
- Co-funding from other sources
The following Universities receive funding under the The Subsidiary Fund for 3rd level Institutions Overseas:
- Lehman College, New York
- Wisconsin University
- Fordham University, New York
- University of St. Thomas, Minnesota
- University of St. Thomas, Texas
- Ireland Institute of Pittsburgh, California
- Glucksman, Ireland House, New York
- Daltaí na Gaeilge
- University of Liverpool
- University of Cambridge
- St. Mary's University, Twickenham, London
- University of Sheffield
- University of Mannheim
- Martin Luther University, Halle
- University of Marburg
- Ruhr University, Bochum
- University of Bonn
- Freiburg University
- Scoil Teangacha Nua-Cheilteacha (SKSK)
- Volkshochschule Buxtehude